This rare tea comes from the tropical forests of Dehong by the Myanmar border of China. We always loved Dian Hong teas (black tea from Yunnan province), but we think this tea is unmatchable. Here is why:
- It is undoubtedly the fruitiest tea we have ever tasted. It has a rich plum sweetness and a pleasant citrus finish. Some wild, woody and pollen flavours and aromas run richly and joyously to make the tasting profile complex yet elegant.
- It is made out of pu-erh material. The ancient tea trees in Dehong can reach 1000 years of age. Local tea farmers plucked the leaves of this tea from wild tea trees around 300 years old, which lay at an elevation of 2200 meters above sea level.
- The wild tea trees are unique as they are a naturally occurring varietal of camellia sinensis var. assamica called “ye sheng”, and they yield purple leaves. These trees are rare compared to others varietals growing in Yunnan.
- Unlike traditional black teas, this tea has been sun-dried (shai hong). The natural enzymes found in the leaves are still alive, and they are transformed over the years. Similar to pu-erh teas. This property makes this tea suitable for ageing, but also, you can get many steepings from this tea which is uncommon for traditional black teas.
- This excellent black tea has been aged since 2014 in zisha clay jars which is breathable. This storage intensified the flavours and made the tea mellower. We could not dream that such sweet and fruity taste in a black tea would exist.
Origin: Dehong, Yunnan
Harvest time: 2014
Leaf colour: Tones of dark brown with visible reddish-purple leaves
Liquor colour: Orangey brown
Tea Aroma: Fruity and woody
Tea taste: Medium-bodied with plum sweetness, pollen and woody undernotes and a citrus finish.
1. Place 4-5 g of this tea in a porcelain gaiwan or teapot and add about 100 ml water at around 95°C.
2. Rinse after 5 sec.
3. Steep for 10 seconds for the second time and increase the consecutive steeping time by 10. You can re-steep this tea multiple times.
Wild Purple Black Tea 2014
All the products sold at Not Just A Cuppa were crafted carefully and brought together to give you the best tea drinking experience. We take all necessary actions to ensure that you received our products in best conditions, and without damage.
If you think that the package is or the contents you received is damaged, please contact us immediately.
We aim at shipping all our products within maximum 48 working hours. We take care to ensure that your shipments reach in the fastest way. It is usually delivered within the 2-3 weeks. Please note there might be delays due to the pandemic.
International delivery speed may vary due to customs delays. Payment of taxes and duties are the responsibility of the recipient. Not Just A Cuppa is not responsible for shipping delays caused by weather or other delays imposed by third party shipping companies at time of shipment.
Standard worldwide international delivery is charged at EUR 15.
Some countries may not be covered.